These blueberry basil turkey burgers with lemon aïoli are PERFECT for summer!
I love getting creative with ingredients and using them in unique and creative ways. I tend to go a little bit overboard buying an abundance of berries when they are in season. I almost turn into a glutton.
This is my blueberry eating technique: I wash them, then let them sit in a bowl for a few hours on the counter (I have sensitive teeth so cold berries straight from the fridge isn’t ideal for me). Then, once the berries are room temperature, I scoop up an entire handful of berries and then just shove them all into my mouth. Repeat until all blueberries are all gone..
Anyone else eat them like that? Or is it just me?
Anyways, in-season blueberries are incredible and I just can’t turn down a good deal. So when we were grocery shopping at Costco the other day, despite already having blueberries at home, I had no control and needed to purchase the jumbo pack. But then that left us with a TON of blueberries in our fridge, and a lightbulb went off in my head to make these burgers!
I’ve made blueberry turkey breakfast sausages before, I’ve eaten a juicy bison steak paired with blueberry jus, and I’ve also had blueberry bbq sauce before! All delicious, but as it is currently summer time, I thought this recipe would be the most approachable and appropriate for the season.
Reasons why you will love these blueberry basil turkey burgers with lemon aïoli:
- They are light and lean, so you can devour one in your bikini and not even worry about getting bloated afterwards.
- or you can devour one in your bikini and not give a shit about getting bloated and just feel confident in your body and not care what anyone thinks!
- The sweet blueberries combined with savoury turkey is just delicious!
- The homemade lemon aïoli is fabulous, bright and adds slight acidity.
- They are a creative way to use blueberries.
- They are gluten free and dairy free.
- They are easy to make.
Other recipes I am loving this summer:
- Summer Strawberry Rhubarb Rolls with Whipped Goat Cheese Icing
- Roasted Strawberry & Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Healthy Buffalo Cauliflower Caesar Salad Wraps
- Gluten Free Rice Krispie Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard
I hope that you enjoy these turkey burgers as much as I do! If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know in the comments below, and tag me on Instagram or Pinterest @wholisticfoodie and use the hashtag #wholisticfoodie!
- Melt some brie on top if you’re craving a little cheese!
- Oats can be used in place of gluten free bread crumbs if you do not have any.
Blueberry Basil Turkey Burgers with Lemon Aïoli
- June 23, 2020
- Print this
- for the burgers:
- 1lb lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tsp grainy dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 C gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 C fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 burger buns
- for the lemon aïoli:
- 1/4 C mayo
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- slices jalapeños
- sliced tomato
- sliced red onion
- romaine or butter lettuce
- Step 1
- To make the burgers: In a medium sized bowl, add the turkey, basil, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and blueberries. Mix very well with clean hands or a rubber spatula until fully combined and let rest for 5 minutes in the fridge.
- Step 2
- Divide burger meat into 4 portions and form into 4 patties that are approximately 1 inch thick.
- Step 3
- Heat olive oil over medium heat on a grill pan or griddle. Once heated, place burger patties on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature is 165°.
- Step 4
- To make the aïoli: stir together the mayo, lemon juice and zest until smooth and creamy.
- Step 5
- To serve the burgers: spread 1 tbsp of aïoli on the bottom of each burger bun, then place turkey burger on top. Add any garnishes you’d like such as sliced red onion, jalapeños or lettuce before finishing with the top burger bun and enjoying!