This recipe is proudly made in partnership with Three Farmers Foods.
I love using their Camelina oil and this recipe uses their super flavourful Roasted Onion and Basil oil. You can use their original camelina oil, but DAMN this infused oil is LITERALLY SO FLAVOURFUL.
I love camelina oil because of it’s high smoke point (making it perfect for roasting) and it’s high omega 3 profile. This makes it a great oil for cognitive function, reducing inflammation, joint and heart health.
Pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts and parmesan, but I’m too poor to buy pine nuts and needed to make this recipe dairy free as I’m currently doing an elimination diet. I chose to use macadamia nuts as they are my fave nut ever! But also because they’re so creamy and buttery that I figured they would be the best substitute for the parmesan, while also giving a subtle hint of nuttiness in lack of the pine nuts.
Macadamia nuts are high in oleic acid and omega-9 fatty acids which is a heart healthy fat and helps to decrease the risk the stroke and/or heart attacks. In addition to the healthy fats found in macadamia nuts, they’re also a great source of manganese, thiamine, iron, potassium, selenium and magnesium. They’re also a source of both soluble and insoluble fibre which helps support digestive health and detoxification.
If you are looking for a pesto recipe that is nut free, check out my hempseed pesto that is also dairy free!
- If you want to make to make “Italian” dairy free pesto, use regular basil leaves instead of Thai basil, and use extra virgin olive oil instead of camelina.
- To use the pesto, toss with pasta or in a rice pilaf, use as a spread for homemade pizza, or spread on crackers and eat with a cherry tomato!
Camelina & Macadamia Nut Pesto
- January 13, 2019
- Just under 250 ml
- 10 min
- Print this
- 1/3 C macadamia nuts
- 1/2 C packed Thai basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- a little less than 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C Three Farmers Roasted Onion & Basil Camelina Oil
- Step 1
- Add all ingredients and blend until almost smooth but still a little chunky.
- Step 2
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days,