Do you guys ever eat pineapple until your mouth starts to break down and hurt? No? Oh.. Because that’s what I do. Have you ever had fresh pineapple juice? Holy shit is it ever good. I couldn’t get enough of it when I was travelling in India! I love a juicy pineapple and I especially love its health benefits. Pineapples are tasty but they are also super nutritious and contain a lot of enzymes that can reduce inflammation, reduce phlegm, improves blood circulation and may reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimers. The phytonutrients in pineapples can also boost the immune system, may act as a preventative to cancer and can help improve digestion and decrease symptoms of IBS.
When looking to buy the perfect pineapple, choose the one with firm shells that have a small amount of give when you squeeze. It should smell fragrant and distinctive at the bottom. One trick that my mom taught me is that when pineapples are ripe, the green leaves in the center should have slight resistance when you pull them. That’s usually how I check for ripeness when buying them!
This salsa is really great because it’s a nice change from traditional tomato salsa, it can be used to easily impress guests and it’s delicious enough to eat it straight outta the bowl.
- Omit charring the jalapeños if you do not have the equipment to do so. An electric or induction stovetop will not work for charring is it required direct flame.
Charred Jalapeño & Pineapple Salsa
- June 5, 2019
- 3 C
- 20 min
- Print this
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 3 large roma tomates, seeded and diced small
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped small
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Step 1
- To char the jalapeño, there are two methods: 1: Place the jalapeños on a metal baking tray and torch until lightly blackened or 2: If you have a gas stove top, hold the jalapeño over the open flame using metal tongs.
- Step 2
- Cut the jalapeños in half and cut out the seeds, then dice very small.
- Step 3
- Combine all ingredients in medium sized bowl and gently mix.
- Step 4
- Enjoy with tortilla chips, zesty nachos or on tacos! Store in airtight container for 4-5 days.