These Healthy Winter Vegetable Burrito Bowls are delicious, hearty, and absolutely perfect for meal prep!
I know that lunches can be difficult to plan for the week. Especially healthy lunches that are fulfilling, easy to throw together, fast to eat and also taste like something you would order from a restaurant. Now that Jericho and I are both back to work and not working in the food industry, lunches are something that need to be planned ahead of time, otherwise it’s a total scramble in the morning!
I am someone who really loves hearty bowls and salads but in the winter months, a spinach and arugula salad just doesn’t cut it. I want something that is going to keep me full and also provide lots of micronutrients that will energize me for the entire day.
At a glance, this recipe looks like it has a LOT of ingredients in it. Well, technically that’s true. But that’s not because it is a difficult recipe, it’s because it is a super flavourful one! I love using a variety of spices and herbs to enhance the taste, attractiveness and aroma of whatever dish I am making. If upon looking at the ingredient list you decide that you don’t want or have the individual ingredients, that’s totally okay! I have provided substitutes in the recipe notes to make your life easier and grocery list shorter.
Reasons why you will love these Healthy Winter Vegetable Burrito Bowls:
- This recipe utilizes fresh and seasonal ingredients like Brussels sprouts and sweet potato that are super grounding!
- The variety of spices are warming in the body, making it the perfect bowl/salad for the cold winter season.
- Once you try the chipotle aioli, you will truly be in LOVE
- It tastes equally delicious when enjoyed cold or hot.
- It tastes like you ordered it from a restaurant.
- It is both gluten AND dairy free! (yes, mayo is dairy free!)
I hope you absolutely LOVE these winter burrito bowls just as much as I do. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section below!
And don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest and Instagram @wholisticfoodie!
- If you don’t want to shred the brussels sprouts yourself, you can often buy them pre shredded in the salad/leafy green section at your favourite grocery store. Alternatively, you can use thinly shredded kale or cabbage. You can not use frozen brussels sprouts for this recipe.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo and picked jalapeños can be found in the “taco” section at the grocery store, where you would find the tortillas or taco kits!
- If you don’t have all the individual spices to season the sweet potato, you can use store bought taco seasoning instead. I would probably use 2-3 tbsp, and still use a pinch of salt and pepper!
- To make this recipe vegan, use mayo that is egg free.
Healthy Winter Vegetable Burrito Bowls
- January 16, 2021
- 1 hr 15 min
- Print this
- for the rice:
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water (or chicken bone broth)
- 2 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- for the sweet potato:2lb sweet potato, peeled and medium diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- for the chipotle aioli:
- 1 cup mayo
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- for the bean and corn salad:
- 1 cup corn (can be fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 540ml can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 500g brussels sprouts, shredded (about 5 cups shredded)
- pickled jalapeños
- lime wedges
- Step 1
- Add the rice to your rice cooker or saucepan. Add the water or bone broth along with the butter, lime juice and cilantro. Cook as directed on package.
- Step 2
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss together the sweet potato, avocado oil and spices. Coat until the potato is evenly coated and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping ever 15 minutes to ensure even cooking. Note: cooking time may vary depending on size of sweet potato
- Step 3
- To make your bean and corn salad, simply toss all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and let marinate.
- Step 4
- To make the chipotle aioli, add all ingredients into the container of your high speed blender and process on high until smooth.
- Step 5
- To assemble your burrito bowl, layer the cooked rice, roasted sweet potato, shredded brussels sprouts and bean salad onto a shallow bowl or large plate. Drizzle the chipotle aioli over top, then garnish with cilantro and pickled jalapenos and enjoy!