It’s just starting to feel like fall here in Alberta and sometimes the cool air chills me right to the bone. That’s why having this quick, cozy and nourishing hot apple cider recipe to sip on while curling up on the couch under a blanket is oh so lovely!
As a nutritionist, I consider juice only to be liquid sugar. Fruit juice is typically perceived as “healthy”, when in reality, juice can be just as much or higher than a can of soda.
The argument: Juice is from fruit and has vitamins in it that are healthy for you.
The fact: Drinking freshly pressed fruit juice contains vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes that can support good health, however these nutrients deplete after just a few days leaving you with a not-so-nourishing-fruit-juice, and more of a sugary beverage.
As a consumer, I either freshly press the juice on my own with my Omega Juicer, buy local and make sure to ask when it was pressed (do not buy a $7 “fresh” juice that was pressed a week ago.. you’re wasting your hard earned money), OR, I at least try to buy organic. But taking all of this into consideration, I always suggest to eat.drink intuitively. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a little bit of fruit juice every once in awhile.
Bone broth is the super unique and nourishing ingredient in this recipe. I truly would have never thought of adding bone broth to apple cider.. but when I was asked to create this recipe in collaboration with High Vibe Health, I got super excited and got right to it!
Bone broth is a great way to support and heal the gut while supporting the immune system. Considering the cold/flu season is just around the corner, this might just be the perfect time to start sipping!
- If you want to use whole spices instead of powder, I would suggest to use 1 large cinnamon stick, 1-2 whole cloves and 1 allspice berry. I chose to use the powder instead of the whole spices, as I felt like powdered spices are more common in most household kitchens. I personally don’t mind consuming a little bit of spices in my drinks, as spices have very healing health benefits to them.
Nourishing Hot Apple Cider
- September 19, 2019
- 15 min
- Print this
- 3/4 C High Vibe Health bison or beef bone broth
- 2 C organic apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp clove powder
- 1/8 tsp allspice powder
- 1 orange wedge, sliced thick
- pinch of salt
- Step 1
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add all ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Step 2
- Allow ingredients to gently simmer up to 10 minutes and then double strain through a fine mesh strainer or through a coffee filter.
- Step 3
- Divide among 2 glasses and serve hot.