There’s not much to say about this side dish to be honest.. It’s just a tray of easy-peasy-to-prepare potatoes and veg. But DAMN is it full of flavour, and that’s why it is blog worthy. Make this to serve at a holiday gathering, potluck, or on a busy weeknight with a juicy pot roast!
I roasted these potatoes and vegetables in my absolute favourite cooking oil: garlic oil. Garlic oil is made simply by roasting whole garlic cloves in a high temperature oil until the garlic is light brown. Strain garlic cloves from oil and boom. You’ve got yourself deliciously sweet, flavourful and tender garlic to use in anything and everything and some incredibly aromatic cooking/roasting oil to add flavour depth to any dish. Click here for the full instructions on how to make your own garlic oil and confit garlic!
Feel free to use parsnips, winter squash, rutabaga, beets, or any other hard root vegetables in this recipe. I had never tried qualities before but found them at Costco (BTW is one of my favourite places in the entire city…) so we decided to try them! They are a hybrid vegetables between kale and brussels sprouts and I honestly loved them. The leaves crisped up so nicely and I can eat them straight up as a snack! Have you ever had kalettes before? If so, how did you use them?
- To cut the carrots on an oblong angle: I first cut off the woody end, then I position my knife on a hard angle (around 145° angle). I slice the carrot, and with my hand that is not holding the knife, I roll the carrot forward with my fingers and then continue to slice the carrot.
- I like using garlic oil because as mentioned, it is just so damn good. It creates more depth to the flavour profile of the roasted vegetables and who doesn’t love lots of flavour? Alternatively, feel free to use avocado oil or camellia oil.
Roasted Baby Potatoes with Vegetables
- November 23, 2019
- 50 min
- Print this
- 4-5 organic carrots, peeled and cut oblong* see recipe note
- 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes, cut in half (about 20 baby potatoes)
- 2 C brussels sprouts, cut in half, or kalettes
- 1/4 C garlic oil or avocado oil** see recipe note
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- for garlic lovers:
- 6-8 whole cloves garlic
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400° (preferably on convection) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non stick silicone mat.
- Step 2
- In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients and make sure they are all coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Step 3
- Transfer to the baking sheet, and roast for 35-40 minutes, flipping half way through.