This spicy jalapeño hummus is exactly what you need right now!
Hummus is a necessary thing to have in your fridge at all times if you ask me. It’s creamy, delicious, packed with nutrients and is a great source of plant based protein.
Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) are a legume grown in the middle east that have a nutty taste and grainy texture. They are one of my favourite legumes to use for so many reasons!
What are the health benefits of chickpeas?:
- High in protein: Chickpeas are a great source of plant based protein that helps keep our muscles strong and healthy!
- High in fibre: The fibre in chickpeas are mostly soluble, which means that it forms into a gel-like substance and helps aid digestion, increase the amount of healthy bacteria in the gut, improve blood glucose levels (lessening the risk of developing type II diabetes) and reduce cholesterol.
- A source of minerals: High in magnesium and potassium, chickpeas are great to support heart health.
- High in B vitamins: B vitamins help maintain energy levels and hormones.
- Plant based compounds: Chickpeas are a source of saponins, which have been shown to inhibit tumour growth.
I love reaping all of the health benefits from chickpeas and that’s why hummus is such a great snack!
Reasons why you will love this spicy jalapeño hummus recipe:
- It is vegan
- Is spicy and delicious!
- It is smooth and creamy!
- It is gluten and dairy free.
- It only takes 15 minutes to make.
- Is great as a spread on burgers or sandwiches.
- Filled with fibre and plant based protein which makes it a healthy snack.
Spicy Jalapeño Hummus
- July 3, 2020
- 15 min
- Print this
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 540ml can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Step 1
- Turn the oven broiler on high. Slice the jalapeños in half length wise and place on a metal baking sheet, sliced side down. Place on the middle rack in the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes, until the skin of the jalapeño is slightly blistered. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cooled, remove the stem and seeds before dicing very small.
- Step 2
- In your food processor or high speed blender, add all ingredients excluding the diced jalapeños, and process until smooth. Adjusting flavour with a little more lime juice, salt or water if necessary.
- Step 3
- Fold in diced jalapeños and stir until incorporated into the hummus.
- Step 4
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.