Lana Del Rey released a new album a few days ago and she did an amazing cover of Doin’ Time (an original by Sublime). It’s such an easy listening, good vibes, chill tempo song to listen to while getting creative in the kitchen. Highly recommend.
Anyways, on the topic of food.
Eating local is just the best. Food tastes SO much better when it is at the peak of its season and was picked only a few days ago (they’re richer in nutrients this way too). I mentioned on my Instagram stories the other day that I refuse to eat peaches that are out of season. The taste, colour, texture is completely off and I have no desire for them. They’re not the juicy and delicious peaches from the Okanagan that I know and love. Sadly, peach season is almost over. (I’m not crying, you’re crying. Just kidding… it’s me. I’m the one crying.)
Because I’m going to have to wait another 10-11 months to to enjoy a damn good peach again, I decided to make this beautiful and vibrant bruschetta to enjoy this tasty stone fruit before they’re out of season again. Make this as an appetizer for your friends and fam, or prepare for just yourself and eat for lunch.
I prefer to use a dairy free cashew based cheese. My absolute favourite to use for this recipe is Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb.
To keep this recipe gluten free, I like to use Care Bakery hot dog buns or Udi’s baguette and cut them on a sharp angle.
Summer Peach & Tomato Bruschetta Crostinis
- September 1, 2019
- 20 min
- Print this
- For the bruschetta:
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, sliced small (I first cut them lengthwise into quarters, then cut those quarters in half)
- 1 large ripe peach, pit removed and small diced
- 1/2 C basil, packed, chiffonade
- 1/4 C red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- to assemble the crostini
- your favourite cream cheese
- 1 baguette, sliced ½ inch thick on a harsh diagonal
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375°. Arrange sliced baguettes on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Step 2
- Add all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and gently combine. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper.
- Step 3
- Spread cream cheese onto crostintis and top with bruschetta.
- Step 4
- Garnish with basil, balsamic reduction or freshly cracked pepper before serving.