Has anyone ever called you granola? And if so, have you ever wondered why someone would ever call you granola? The not-serious-and-always-humourous Urban Dictionary defines being “granola” as a human being who is a new age/more civilized hippie who can usually be found journaling in the middle of the forest, wearing Birkenstocks and athletic shorts (always ready to hike or go on an adventure at any moment, a backpack with a water bottle and with dreadlocks (all over or just one or two). The phrase “save the world” in their vocabulary is interchangeable with “travel the world and meet cool people from different cultures” (usually talking about Africa).
- You can use whichever nuts you prefer. Overall, the recipe needs 1 1/2 C of raw unsalted nuts so get creative and use whatever you like!
- I like using dried cranberries that have been sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar. I find that they taste better and do not have refined sugar in them. They can often be found in health food stores or in the bulk section of grocery stores with a big health food section.
- Can use coconut oil instead.
- Can use honey if you don’t need this recipe to be vegan.
Sweet & Savoury Granola
- November 11, 2019
- 6-7 C
- 30 min
- Print this
- 4 C old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 C pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 C walnut pieces
- 1/2 C macadamia nuts
- 3/4 C dried cranberries
- 1 tsp mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 3/4 C maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 C white chocolate chips
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2
- In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients including the spices and fresh herbs. Pour in the olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and stir very well.
- Step 3
- Transfer granola to the baking sheet and spread out in an even layer. Bake for 22 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Step 4
- Let the granola completely cool before breaking it apart and transferring it to an airtight container.